ORTHODONTIC SKILLS ENHANCEMENT SERIES
The comprehensive 5-part series is an orthodontic skills enhancement package that addresses the key skills, qualities and mechanotherapeutic attributes required for a successful treatment outcome. The Orthodontic Skills Enhancement Series is thus aimed at both practitioners working in orthodontics and those interested in simple orthodontic treatments who wish to
- Understand and explore the nuances of diagnostic criteria and meticulous planning,
- Perform simple wire bending and archwire fabrication with confidence for a good clinical outcome. Participants will progress through a wide range of wire bending exercises to suit the individual patient’s needs,
- Understand how the approaches differ between fixed appliance and clear aligners in terms of case selection, planning, and management.
The short courses in the series are arranged around key clinical situations in orthodontics and follows a meticulous sequence that includes theoretical instructions, demonstrations and hands-on skill practice.
The series will focus on the following important aspects:
- Developing knowledge and manual dexterity skill in condition- specific malocclusion features for daily clinical practice.
- Creating a learning situation that allows the participant to think, understand and apply the basic principles of mechanics.
- Teaching the skills to bend meticulous archwire bends and loops to ensure that round tripping is avoided and the shortest path to completion of treatment is taken.
- Discussing a practical decision-making approach for a successful outcome with clear aligners and know the boundaries of aligners.
- knowledge and skills in designing orthodontic appliance for various malocclusions and develop strategies for a holistic patient care.
- BE MORE CONFIDENT
- in the art of wirebending and develop familiarity with adjusting round and rectangular archwires to improve effectiveness.
- the tricks of the trade for enhanced patient satisfaction.
- KNOW HOW
- to select the ‘right’ cases and manage clear aligner system.
- 15 full days of face-to-face lectures, case discussions, demonstrations, hands-on sessions on typodont.
- 5 one-to-one mentoring sessions via Zoom (4 hours each) conducted over 8 months.
Free essential orthodontic pliers and instruments included worth RM5600. Free tools with complete enrolment in all of the Orthodontic Skills Enhancement Series courses.
Certificate of attendance with CPD points will be provided at the end of the course.
To be eligible for a certificate of successful completion of training, participants will submit a reflective report of 1 case with the evidence for assessment.
Management of Crowding in Adult Patients – Appliance Design and Execution
The first series will introduce fundamental science, first orthodontic visit diagnostics, treatment timing, 3D anchorage planning, and biomechanics. Explore step by step treatment planning and appliance prescription with extraction / non-extraction approaches. Learn to select correct archwires and understand the prospects and limitations of clear aligners.
- 17-19 Nov 2023
- Mentoring Review Session 1: 7 Jan 2024 (Zoom)
Management of Protruded Anterior Teeth in Adult Patients – Appliance Design and Execution
This series will highlight the stages and steps with Commencement – Continuation- Consolidation – Completion treatment approach, cephalometric synthesis, dental-VTO and Torque control mechanics. Special attention to miniscrew application in exclusive sites and clear aligner biomechanics.
- 26-28 Jan 2024
- Mentoring Review Session 2: 18 Feb 2024 (Zoom)
Management of Developing Malocclusion in Child Patients – Appliance Design and Execution
Gain in depth understanding of diagnostic parameters, maturity indicators, space management, interceptive approaches, protraction therapy, headgears and functional appliances in child patients. Learn to identify clinical cues and adopt a systematic programme with pre-pubertal orthodontic intervention and beyond. And, a look at aligners for children and teens.
- 22-24 Mar 2024
- Mentoring Review Session 3: 7 Apr 2024 (Zoom)
Management of Vertical and Transverse Malocclusions – Appliance Design and Execution
This series will address open bite, deep bite, and crossbites with attention to equilibrium and postures, frontal ceph synthesis, timing, miniscrew-supported mechanics, and some invasive modalities. Explore biomechanical considerations and step by step treatment planning, application of intra oral elastics and retention considerations.
- 26-28 Apr 2024
- Mentoring Review Session 4: 12 May 2024 (Zoom)
Inter-disciplinary Interface and Problem Solving in Clinical Orthodontics
The final series covers micro and mini esthetic smile design, canine impaction, unusual extraction modality, asymmetry, miniplates, adjunctive therapy (molar uprighting, pre-prosthetic alignment, forced eruption), corticotomy and skeletal malocclusion in non-growing patients. Resolve (Quick Fix) the orthodontic problems with fixed appliances and aligners
- 28-30 June 2024
- Mentoring Review Session 1: 14 July 2024 (Zoom)
Demonstration and Hands-On
Each series is equipped with close demonstrations and personalised, one-on-one, hands-on training in key orthodontic skills using orthodontic simulation typodonts. Special attention is paid to diagnostic skills and developing the art of wire bending for a successful outcome. Topics covered include bonding, various edgewise space closure techniques, finishing bends and loops, appliance construction, bite registration, and more.
Mentoring – Tricks of the Trade
Each series includes virtual mentoring review sessions focused on case-based learning, patient management in orthodontics, medicolegal issues in orthodontics, and group reflection and feedback.
Dr Sivakumar Arunachalam
Associate Dean and Consultant
- BDS in 1999 and University Gold medalist for BDS from ‘The Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University, India
- MDS (Orthodontics) in 2004, at the College of Dental Sciences, Manipal and trained in orthodontic techniques using Standard Edgewise and Pre-adjusted Edgewise mechanics
- Awarded diploma in membership (MOrth RCSEd, 2006) and Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK (FDS RCSEd, 2016)
- Earned a Certificate (2022) and Diploma (2023) in Health Professions Education
- An inquisitive teacher for undergraduates and postgraduate guide and mentor for more than 18 years and is very active in orthodontic specialty practice
- Currently, Associate Dean at IMU School of Dentistry and Clinician-in-Charge for Oral Health Center, IMU
- Recipient of the John Simpson Trophy for Excellence in Teaching, 2021, winner of the first prize for Excellence in Teaching at the International Medical University, KL, Malaysia, 2021, e-learning Inovasi competition, 2022 and winner of IMU achievement award
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, 2016 from the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Certificate for outstanding contribution to the humanitarian work of Cleft Lip and Palate Rotaplast, Philadelphia 2007, USA
- Published more than 50 scientific papers in national and international journals and co-edited two textbooks
- Key areas of clinical interest are cortical activation driven tooth movement, self-ligating appliances, miniscrew supported orthodontic treatment, orthodontic loop mechanics, growth modification appliance therapy, and clear aligner system
Dr Anand Srinivasa
Director at Align Dentistry and Medical Centre, New South Wales, Australia
- MDS (Orthodontics) in 2000 and the MOrth Examinations from the Royal College of Surgeons, England (2001), The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (2001), The Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh, (2013). Also been awarded the FDSRCS (Glasgow) and FDSRCS (Edinburgh)
- Worked as a specialist orthodontist in various capacities and in different countries including India (CODS Manipal), UAE (Ministry of Defence, Abu Dhabi) and Australia (Private Practice)
- More recently, completed an MBA from the London school of Economics
- Main area of interest is clinical orthodontics, its applications in interceptive and adult orthodontics. Also, a platinum provider for Invisalign. In his free time, he likes to speak to other orthodontists about practice management and methods to enhance efficiency in the orthodontic office
Dr Kirti Saxena
Senior Lecturer and Consultant
- BDS in 2009 from KLE Society’s Institute of Dental Sciences (RGUHS, Karnataka, India). MDS (Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics) in 2012 from Dr. G.D. Pol Foundation’s Dental College and Hospital (MUHS, Nashik, India). MFDS by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow in 2020
- 12 years of clinical experience in enhancing smiles of patients of various ages through orthodontics and certified Invisalign provider
- 7 years of academic experience teaching undergraduate dental students as well as Dental surgery assistants
- Secured silver award in International Learning resources Festival in 2020, 2021 and 2022
- Author of scientific and education-based articles in international journals
- Lead many research projects and presented in many conferences
- Keen interest in education and associated with many projects to augment the learning experience of dental students
Dr Smita Nimbalkar
Senior Lecturer and Consultant
- BDS in 2003 from Maharashtra university of health sciences, India. MDS (Orthodontics) in 2011, from Rajiv Gandhi University, India and secured Diploma of Membership of the faculty of dentistry MFDS RCPS (Glasgow) in March 2020
- Currently, Senior Lecturer at IMU School of Dentistry and coordinates elective module and student mobility
- Research interests include orthodontic bonding and smile aesthetics. She has published many papers in peer reviewed journals, along with awards for oral and poster presentation in national and international platforms. Editorial board member for IJOPRD and reviewer for journals such as International journal of Dentistry, PLOS One
Dr Saba F Hussain
- BDS in 2001 faculty of dentistry Baghdad university higher ranks. Master in clinical orthodontics in 2004,from Faculty of Dentistry, University of Baghdad-Iraq
- Dedicated Orthodontist with more than 19 years’ experience and treatment skills, providing clinical examination, diagnosis and treatment planning for a wide variety of orthodontic malocclusions
- Established and coordinated orthodontic module for undergraduate and postgraduate Module- Faculty of Dentistry UiTM.
- Obtained Excellence Academic Staff Award 2017 at university level (UiTM) and Excellence Award of Faculty of Dentistry UITM 2016. Awarded many Gold / Silver medals in National and International contests for Invention and Innovation
- Published more than 30 scientific papers in ISI and Non-ISI journals and conferences and over 300 citations of the published papers
REGISTRATION FEE (inclusive of SST)
|RM995 / RM795 (Early Bird Register before 30 Sep 2023)||RM3400 x 10 months||20% off from regular fee|
Email the completed registration form to [email protected]