Short Course: Care of Elderly and Housebound Patient
(2 days) – Tentative dates: TBA
This training assists the elderly and housebound patients to make their day-to-day living easier and comfortable. It teaches the participants as a caregiver to integrate needed services such as homecare, nutritional, ambulatory assistance with activity of daily living. The caregiver will be able to ensure that the elderly is well looked after physically and mentally by understanding the ageing process, safety and hygiene. Additionally, participants will be able to carry out procedures of lifting and positioning the patient, home safety, denture care, assisted bathing, foot / skin care.
This 2 days course will be conducted with theory and practical components, which are:
Theoretical components consist of discussions, sharing experience, presentations on topics:
- Ambulatory/transfer assistance
- Feeding and nutrition
- Care of diabetic (bed sore/ wound care, management of glucometer and insulin pen
- Personal hygiene care and incontinence (including care of catheter and stoma care)
- Medication administration
- Dialysis support
- Prevention and control of infection in nursing homes
Practical components, where participants will be divided into small groups for:
- Use of manikin and simulated patient
- Demonstration given by facilitators and return demo by participants
Intended learning outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Provide direct personal care to elderly patient
- Develop a plan of care to meet the identified needs
- Acquire the essential skills and knowledge of elderly care for income opportunities.
Healthcare workers, caretakers and open to individuals who would like to practice elderly care for parents and family members.